Read these sentences and the following new reports.
Which country does each sentence describe?
For each sentence mark one letter A ,B ,C or D on your Answer Sheet.
the head of state went to China to treat his disease.
1. the government didn't want to cancel a meeting in its capital.
2. This country did something that went against the international aGREements.
3. the king declared that he was unable to stop the civil war.
4. A fierce quarrel broke out between this country and its neighbour.
5. A national budget is going to be approved by the parliament some time in July.
6. An opposition .party plans to turn down its enemy who now controlls the government.
7. A nuclear reactor aroused the suspicion of the United Nations which sent inspectors there to investigate.
A . North Korea announced that it had begun to change the fuel at a nuclear reactor at Youngbyon without the presence of international inspectors, a move that is contrary to international aGREements.
B. the Khmers Rouges claimed to have captured the town of Mongkol Borei, in north-western Cambodia. As King Sihanouk prepared to leave for China to resume cancer treatment ,he said he had lost hope of resolving the Cambodian conflict.
C. Japan's main opposition party, the Liberal Democrats, said it would try to bring down the minority government of Tsutiomu Hata once the budget is passed by parliament in mid-July.
D. the Philippines refused a demand by Indonesia to ban a conference in Manila on East Timor, provoking the worst dispute between the countries for several years.
Read this memorandum.
Choose the lest sentence from the list A-I to fill each of the blanks.
For each blank 8-12 mark one letter A-I on your Answer Sheet.
De not mark any letter twice.
One answer has teen given as an example.
To: Filma Williams ,school of Architecture
From : Ram S. Johnson ,Physical Plant Operations
Subject : Air-conditioning Installation Costs for East Hall.
Date : 4.4.94
As you requested in your memo of March 15, we have studied the costs of installing air conditioning for the seven offices and two studio classrooms in Eest Hall ...example...
Office and Classroom installation
Estimates were obtained from three contractors on the costs of covering the offices and classrooms ...8...The work would take about three weeks.
Because the central unit would be installed on the roof, some noise problems might occur during a four-or five-day period...9... Sheet metal work to build out lest in the classes could be done on weekends , and the overtime labour costs of about $1,500 have been included in the estimates.
Arrangements were not made to do the office space installation on weekends `.. ... 10... ..
Because a larger installation, including a more powerful central unit, would be necessary to handle the halls and stairways ,an additional $6 , 000 would be required for the equipment. .....11 ... If this additional work were delayed until a later time, a new central unit would be required along with changes in the pipe way ...12...
the total job for the building would be about $ 35, 000 if done at one time. A two-stage installation would cost about $55 ,000. I can get official bids at your request.
A As you suggested, we also sought information on the additional cost of air
conditioning in the entrance halls and stairways.
B All these three were in the $ 20,000 to $25,000 range.
C This later installation would cost about $20,000.
D However, class interruption should be minimal.
E In the same way, each of these three would take at least one month.
F therefore ,the total cost was this $6 ,000 plus another $5,000.
G Labour costs would be an additional S 5 ,000,bringing the total cost of the addition to $11 ,000.
H Each faculty member could expect to have workers in the office for about one day.
I So faculty members can continue their office work as usual.
Read this letter alert explanation of business problems , and answer the questions that follow.
Williams and Co.
54 Jermyn Street
London SW 1Y 6LX
Manager of Export Sales
Hilton Motorcycles Ltd.
Dear Sir or Madam :
We received your letter dated 2nd July, expressing your dissatisfaction with the present level of your sales in Nigeria. We shall try to explain as briefly as possible how it is that your competitors are doing so well so that you may see why it is that we are not. We shall also suggest ways of improving the present situation. Our difficulties may be summarized as follows :
1. Your competitors pay for extensive advertising in newspapers and magazines that reach every corner of Nigeria. We receive no financial help for advertising and do not receive sufficient commission to pay for it ourselves.
2. the company referred to in your letter sent a two-man team on a tour of six provinces in a specially equipped lorry containing the models they wished to publicize. Their agent had arranged displays in the towns they were due to visit and had announced them in the local press. With such backing from the manufacturer ,high sales are inevitable !
3. What sells well in Europe does not necessarily sell well elsewhere. Your competitors know this and plan accordingly. they give maximum publicity to three or four models that are sure to sell well here. We would suggest that you do the same and concentrate on the 98cc Speedy, the 250cc Hunter and the 350cc Hawk.
4. In spite of the excellent containership service between England and West Africa we are still having to wait for too long for orders to be shipped. Once they have placed an order, customers are impatient to receive it. Our present commission of 10/00 does not allow us to undertake sales tours in other regions. Nigeria covers an area of over 350 , 000 square miles and our present commission will not stand the expense of such trips.
If you are prepared to increase our commissions ,contribute to our travel expenses on the longer journeys and back us with advertising. We are convinced that we can do as well as your competitors. We look forward to your comments.
Yours faithfully ,
Williams and Co.
For questions 13 -16 ,choose the correct title for each paragraph from the box below.
For each paragraph 1-4 mark one letter AG on your Answer Sheet.
Do not mark any letter twice.
13. Paragraph 1...
14. Paragraph 2...
15. Paragraph 3...
16. Paragraph 4...
A Deliveries and commission
B A two-man team
C Proper models.
D More advertisements
E Your competitors' successful methods
F Expenses for trips
G Sales promotions
17. We are going to give a brief explanation...
18. Your competitors' advertisements often appear in popular publications
19. Hear is our suggestion that you follow their example and...
20. If you give us more financial assistance, we believe...
A. Why your competitors are doing better than us.
B. that they wished to publicize.
C. that we can catch up with your competitors.
D. that you concentrate on three models.
E. that are sure to sell well.
F. which they would certainly visit.
G. that reach every corner of Nigeria.