1. In the experiment we kept a watchful eye _____ the developments and recorded every detail.
A in B at C for D on
2. There’s little chance that mankind would ________ a nuclear war.
A retain B endure C maintain D survive
3. Nuclear science be developed to benefit the people ________ harm them.
A more than B other than C rather than D better than
4. The French pianist who had been praised very highly ________ to be a great disappointment.
A turned up B turned in C turned out D turned down
5. Many difficulties have ________ as a result of the change over to a new type of fuel.
A risen B arisen C raised D arrived
6. He made such a ________ contribution to the university that they are naming one of the new buildings after him.
A genuine B minimum C modest D generous
7. In the advanced course students must take performance tests at monthly ________.
A gaps B intervals C length D distance
8. We regret to inform you that the materials you ordered are ________.
A out of work B out of stock C out of reach D out of practice
9. Our company decided to ________ the contract because a number of the conditions in it had not been met.
A destroy B resist C assume D cancel
10. She is ________ a musician than her brother.
A much of B much as C more of D more as
11. Having been found guilty, the man was given a severe ________ by the judge.
A service B sentence C crime D crisis
12. ________ is known to the world, Mark Twain is great American writer.
A That B Which C As D It
13. You can’t afford to let the situation get worse. You must take ________ to put it right.
A decisions B directions C sides D steps
14. Before he left for his vacation he went to the bank to ________ some money.
A pull B pick C gain D draw
15. Frankfurt, Germany, is in one of the most ________ populated regions of Western Europe.
A densely B vastly C enormously D largely
16. The police set a ________ to catch the thieves.
A plan B device C trap D trick
17. We have to try every means to ________ the costs of the construction project.
A bring off B bring forth C bring down D bring back
18. The students were participating ________ an international energy-saving competition between towns in New England and Canada.
A for B in C to D at
19 When she was criticized, she claimed that it was outside her ________ of responsibility.
A field B limit C extent D range
20. We welcome rain, but aan ________ large amount of rainfall will cause floods.
A extensively B extremely C specially D constantly
参考答案：1-5 DDCCB 6-10 DBBDA 11-15 BCDDA 16-20 CCBDB